Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paul's bulking up tips.  (Read 102431 times)

Downhill Ben

• Senior
Re: Paul's bulking up tips.
« Reply #150 on: Apr 03, 2010, 15:08 »
Don't quite get what you mean by "playing pat a cake" but whatever. But anyway, I thought you meant in the context of what was written above your comment, Ie. Lifting at 80% or thereabouts - I didn't realise you were talking about powerlifting (1-3reps kind of thing?)

marin rider

• Senior
« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2010, 23:37 »
what should you eat before and after going to the gym?

at the moment i do not have a set diet or anything i generally before going to the gym at around 5 have 2 slices of toast and honey(done that ever since Ive been in school :laugh:) then I'm at the gym by 7 for an hour and then when i get home around 10-15 Min's later i have my super which is always homemade stuff such as lasagnas,chilli's, spaghetti bolognaise, chicken and all that.

thanks

iceman8

• Senior
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2010, 20:13 »
Sorry to hijack the thread a little but I didn't want to start a whole new one and there seems to be a few people who know there stuff on this one:

What protein powder should I use? I'm 68kg at the moment and have been for the past year whatever I do; going to the gym or not. Working out increases muscle mass a little and obviously makes me a lot leaner but doesn't seem to add much mass. Please don't recommend Maximuscle as it's all stupidly overpriced!

WDH

• God Like!
  • 2008 Transition Bottlerocket
    • Wentwood Downhill
« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2010, 20:40 »
With a good routine and diet you will put mass on without the need for forking out for shakes and supplements.

Leigh2612

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • appalache/ solo airs
« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2010, 20:45 »
eat more meat!
Quit your jibba jabba!

hurbum

• Senior
    • Newcastle Uni Cycling Club
« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2010, 21:11 »
Are higher reps with lower weights or lower reps higher weights better for building strength?
"plymuff massiff"
www.nclcycling.co.uk

WDH

• God Like!
    • Wentwood Downhill
« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2010, 21:13 »
Are higher reps with lower weights or lower reps higher weights better for building strength?
Strength = low reps-high weight
5x5 is the commonly suggested sets and reps.

iceman8

• Senior
« Reply #157 on: May 24, 2010, 21:19 »
With a good routine and diet you will put mass on without the need for forking out for shakes and supplements.
eat more meat!

I do eat very well, I used to swim on a national level where we had dietitians so I'm not one of those people who doesn't eat anything then wonders why they can't put on weight. Hence why I was enquiring about supplements. Any recommendations? It's getting very frustrating. I can get stronger but not actually put on much size; which is annoying because I play uni rugby so it helps to be a little bigger!

Leigh2612

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • appalache/ solo airs
« Reply #158 on: May 24, 2010, 21:21 »
what do you eat?
Quit your jibba jabba!

Foxo

« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2010, 23:13 »
My favourites Reflex instant Whey, and at 33p a serving it won't break the bank like maximuscle.
Also look at My Protein if your seriously on a budget, it don't taste great but 5kg for £35 and you can't really argue.
Any whey with 80%+ protein content it good really, i doubt theres any real difference until you go for isolates.

Then you've got combined bulking products like PHd Synergy which is more expensive but you'll see the size gains, its got creatine, l glutamine, carbs etc. so you pay more.
Your choice really.

My advice it you want to get weight is add an extra meal into your day, can be as fat as you like but minimise saturated fats. So something high in carbs, proteins, and fats like a pizza and neck it every day. Weight will fly on and some of it will be fat, but your a swimming so you can cut down for whenever your completing easily. I normally bulk over winter (which is the bodys natural reaction to cold weather anyway) and then cut down towards the summer to compete. Thats not how a bodybuilder would do it, but im not a body builder so i don't care as long as it works (and it does, i used to be 11 stone, now 13stone with lower bodyfat).

Aparntly in glouchester rugby academy they reccomend eating a tub of icecream each night before bed, but that probably won't work unless your jabbing yourself with the crap they jab themselves with, lol.

Forking out for shakes? My shake costs me 33p and has 20grams of protein, a chicken breat costs £1. I know its not a substitute for good diet, but the idea that your forking out extra is wrong, you need to get the protein from somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 23:17 by Foxo »

WDH

• God Like!
    • Wentwood Downhill
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2010, 08:03 »

Forking out for shakes? My shake costs me 33p and has 20grams of protein, a chicken breat costs £1. I know its not a substitute for good diet, but the idea that your forking out extra is wrong, you need to get the protein from somewhere.
Unless you are planning to replace your chicken with a shake then you will be forking out extra. Theres nothing wrong with adding protein to supplement a good diet but far to many people think if they take a shake theyll turn into ronnie coleman hence i say get a good diet, routine sorted and make gains first.

Foxo

« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2010, 10:34 »
I totally agree with you, protein shakes account for a tiny part of jigsaw.

But I count my protein as part of my food budget. Too many people see it as something extra, whereas you should really build it into your diet to make sure your diet is balanced.

So if i eat chicken breat with veg at 8, i'll then have a shake at 10. If i didn't have my shake i'd have another chicken breast, or something similar.  So personally, in my opinion, i save money.

But I do agree with you that protein shakes aren't anywhere near as important as the other things listed in the OP.

DeadTom

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Fo' Grizzle
    • biketart.com
« Reply #162 on: Jan 22, 2011, 11:12 »
anyone here able to do full planches? like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyuJ3T0sQ88

for me, that sort of power to weight is what i want to achieve with my workouts, but ive tried doing planches and i just feel like i might as well be trying to lift a tank..
is it just pure strength, or does it take some practise to get the balance and everythign right?

need more Evil in your life?  www.biketart.com

Rokin

• Senior
  • Fat, unskilled and proud.
« Reply #163 on: Jan 22, 2011, 20:32 »
Can't do them myself. I got too big and they're more suitable for lighter framed people who don't skimp on core exercises. I lack the discipline! I'd certainly check out Dominic Lacasse though. This guy is a legend in my eyes. I got quite close to doing the flag and it's still on my 'to do' list...

DeadTom

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Fo' Grizzle
    • biketart.com
« Reply #164 on: Jan 23, 2011, 00:15 »
well im around 5'8" 145lbs, and im currently doing sets of 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 of presses, sits (with 20lb weight) and bicep curls (with, dont laugh, 16lb weight)
if i reduce my sets to start from 30 then i can do the presses with 20lb on my back, or i can start from 60 reps, but that gets boring after a while...

thing is, im also vegetarian, dont take protein, and dont go to the gym...

am i aiming too high?
need more Evil in your life?  www.biketart.com

© 2019 Ride It Out