Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paul's bulking up tips.  (Read 102424 times)

hurbum

• Senior
    • Newcastle Uni Cycling Club
Re: Paul's bulking up tips.
« Reply #135 on: Feb 08, 2010, 21:25 »
Hi guys,

After some advice. I'm 6ft 2 and weigh in at about 72kg. Trying to gain a fair amount of weight, in the form of muscle obviously. I'm eating 4 or 5 meals a day, making sure that it's all healthy and contains high amounts of protein so lots of tuna and chicken.
I'm also trying to increase my cardio fitness so I'm doing 2 pretty brutal spinning sessions a week, trying to run once or twice a week. I'm also having a protein shake after I've excercised. I'm doing weight training twice a week.

Any ways to speed up the weight gain? Doesn't really seem to be doing a huge amount.
"plymuff massiff"
www.nclcycling.co.uk

Leigh2612

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • appalache/ solo airs
« Reply #136 on: Feb 08, 2010, 21:29 »
less cardio.
Quit your jibba jabba!

WDH

• God Like!
  • 2008 Transition Bottlerocket
    • Wentwood Downhill
« Reply #137 on: Feb 08, 2010, 21:31 »
Hi guys,

After some advice. I'm 6ft 2 and weigh in at about 72kg. Trying to gain a fair amount of weight, in the form of muscle obviously. I'm eating 4 or 5 meals a day, making sure that it's all healthy and contains high amounts of protein so lots of tuna and chicken.
I'm also trying to increase my cardio fitness so I'm doing 2 pretty brutal spinning sessions a week, trying to run once or twice a week. I'm also having a protein shake after I've excercised. I'm doing weight training twice a week.

Any ways to speed up the weight gain? Doesn't really seem to be doing a huge amount.
Want to expand on the weight sessions your doing?

Lew_ss

• Senior
  • No Gloves, No Love!
« Reply #138 on: Feb 09, 2010, 12:14 »
Hi guys,

sounds to me that your not doing anywhere near enough weights i would double what your doing, also make sure you don't get stuck in a routine of doing the same set and reps mix it up do super heavy low reps one week then change to super high reps and low weight the next. for example a typical heavy bench session would be....

start
70kg x 8 reps
75kg x 6 reps
80kg x 4 reps
85kg x 2 reps
90kg x 1 rep
90kg x 1 rep
85kg x 2 reps
80kg x 4 reps
75kg x 6 reps
70kg x 8 reps

reapted twice

you should allow decent recovery between sets

then light weight bench session would be..

40kg 20 to 30 sets 10 reps per set
on this session only allow a max of 30 to 40 seconds between sets.

obviouly ajust the weight to suit yourself, but make sure its heavy enough so that you can hardly finish the sessions. you can apply the above seesions best to compound exercises so bench pess, bench pull, standing press, deadlifts, squats ect... compound exersizes will have have the biggest effect on your size and strength.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010, 12:19 by Lew_ss »
Clip that S**T in!!!

Leigh2612

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • appalache/ solo airs
« Reply #139 on: Feb 09, 2010, 14:36 »
Hi guys,

sounds to me that your not doing anywhere near enough weights i would double what your doing, also make sure you don't get stuck in a routine of doing the same set and reps mix it up do super heavy low reps one week then change to super high reps and low weight the next. for example a typical heavy bench session would be....

start
70kg x 8 reps
75kg x 6 reps
80kg x 4 reps
85kg x 2 reps
90kg x 1 rep
90kg x 1 rep
85kg x 2 reps
80kg x 4 reps
75kg x 6 reps
70kg x 8 reps

reapted twice

obviouly ajust the weight to suit yourself, but make sure its heavy enough so that you can hardly finish the sessions. you can apply the above seesions best to compound exercises so bench pess, bench pull, standing press, deadlifts, squats ect... compound exersizes will have have the biggest effect on your size and strength.

agreed with compounds. however you are better off having a workout pattern for 3 months or so and changing it after that than something different every session, especially if you are new to lifting
Quit your jibba jabba!

lucas

• Regal Graphics
  • MTB Company
    • Regal Graphics
« Reply #140 on: Feb 11, 2010, 16:18 »
Hi guys,

start
70kg x 8 reps
75kg x 6 reps
80kg x 4 reps
85kg x 2 reps
90kg x 1 rep
90kg x 1 rep
85kg x 2 reps
80kg x 4 reps
75kg x 6 reps
70kg x 8 reps

reapted twice

That set list-do you mean he should complete that number of sets in one session? If so I think thats way too much... the muscle would be too fatigued after 4 sets of 80% total liftable weight for the other 10 or however many there are to be of any use. I think that will undoubtedly lead to over training, and you wont see any results... just for the opposite reason of why you aren't at the moment. Do 3 sets on all heavy exercises... its been used and proven for so many years by so many people-why change it? Remember to lift at 70-80% of your biggest liftable weight on each exercise, more and you will likely injure yourself through poor technique, less and you wont make any significant gains.

Id say dont do any cardio sessions if you want to put on muscle, just do a warm up and warm down like rowing or jogging or cycling but not too strenuous, just to keep cramping and locking to a minimum. And seeing as though your posting on sdh... im guessing you ride your bike like once a  week or more anyway, so warm ups, riding, warm downs, weights and good nutrition will allow you to put on muscle not fat.

Eating protein is good, but you need carbs and everything else too. Most weightlifters/bodybuilders have an average intake of like 250g protein a day... obviously more if they're bigger or less if they're smaller. Look into ZMA also, (potent but natural mixture of magnesium, zinc and vit b6 that basically increases your bodies ability to digest and break down protein in a useful way-theres no point eating or drinking more protein than you can digest as you'll just waste money like so many people do on protein shakes etc.

Not to get too technical, but you may want to look into cortisol too... To give you a basic outline of its effect on humans and possibly yourself ill summarise it below.

Cortisol is a hormone present in male and females, and acts an opposing force to testosterone. Its a nightmare for people trying to gain muscle because It is a catabolic hormone that reduces protein synthesis and prevents tissue growth. Too much cardio causes more Cortisol to be released by the body so don’t over-do it on the treadmill and remember any cardio should be combined with a good diet. Try to eat at least 5-6 small meals each day as it has been found that eating more frequently helps to control Cortisol levels keeping them lower than if you were eating larger meals less frequently. The most important meals are breakfast and your Post Workout meal. Make sure you eat in the morning as Cortisol levels are shown to be higher at this time and maintaining a proper diet including protein, carbs and essential fats help to control Cortisol levels.

AND REMEMBER DONT EXERCISE FOR ANY LONGER THAN AN HOUR. Testosterone peaks halfway through an hour workout, after your warmup, and usually dissapears after 50 minutes, at which time cortisol takes over, after which you will make no good or lasting effect on the muscle tissue.

Wow, long post... sorry, hope it helps though as I dont think anyone has mentioned cortisol yet.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2010, 16:23 by l00cas »

Rock Storm

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #141 on: Mar 06, 2010, 05:06 »
hey there Paul, I am skinny as s**t and always have been 10.5 stone and weak as. I am going to Whistler for a season and have about 3 months to build as much upper body strength as is possible. I know how to eat well and I am set to buy some dumbells as I can't afford the time or money to goin a gym unfortunately - could you recommend a good set of weights to buy? How heavy should they be?!! I may try and pick some up second hand

Also is there a book you could recommend with some direction on how to lift and use the weights and put all the parts of training together? I know you have answered a lot of questions for many people in this thread but it'd be great to have everything out on paper:)
Thanks for any help
Sam
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 05:09 by Rock Storm »

Leigh2612

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • appalache/ solo airs
« Reply #142 on: Mar 06, 2010, 08:13 »
you will need an adjustable dumbells and a bench then, i think when you move up above York stuff it is all probably much the same.
If you google exercise technique theres a few sites with videos of every exercise imaginable which might help, i would havbe thought its been in the thread already. Would check but just off to my gym!
Quit your jibba jabba!

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
  • Previously known as Chilled76
« Reply #143 on: Mar 31, 2010, 18:17 »
Gym equipment for sale if anyone is interested.

http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/index.php/topic,223113.0.html

Paul
If you're not falling off, you're not getting faster!

youmightmeet
« Reply #144 on: Apr 02, 2010, 12:57 »
Hi guys,

Eat 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. So if your lean already you should be eating  150g of protein per day (maybe a bit less, but definitely more than 100). You need to eat lots -> you can't put on muscle quickly and not put on fat. Most people bulk (so put on muscle and consequently fat) then cut (so diet of all the fat and a little of the muscle). You want to eat around 3000 cals a day. ~Your body needs fuel to work. If you find yourself getting too fat, add in more cardio.

Don't do loads of weights. End of. Do the program below. Add 10kg to your deadlifts, 5kg to your squats, and 2.5kg to your bench press every session. After a month or two you'll have to dial the weights down a bit, if you eat properly and are patient you can progress on this routine for 6 months at least. I'd buy the books practical programming and starting strength if I were you: all you need to know about bulking up is contained within those pages. Another program you might like to look at is WS4SB3. Google it, it'll come up.

Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps
Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift
Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Leigh2612

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • appalache/ solo airs
« Reply #145 on: Apr 02, 2010, 13:09 »
mate i did a 3x week set up based on squats, never again, its a great way to f**k your back up real fast.
Agreed with the food but think a 2 day full body or push/pull/legs split would be better to get used to training at intensity, then ,move onto bodypart splits later if thats what you want.
Also those are pretty hefty increments each session, you should be looking at one more rep each time up 8/10/12 depending on your needs, then moving up a weight
Quit your jibba jabba!

Downhill Ben

• Senior
« Reply #146 on: Apr 02, 2010, 22:04 »
mate i did a 3x week set up based on squats, never again, its a great way to f**k your back up real fast.

Surely bad form then?

Leigh2612

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • appalache/ solo airs
« Reply #147 on: Apr 03, 2010, 00:10 »
if your back can take heavy sets of squats every other day crack on mate....
Quit your jibba jabba!

Downhill Ben

• Senior
« Reply #148 on: Apr 03, 2010, 13:50 »
If you mean tiring your back out then fair enough. I doubt I could evrey 2 days. But if you mean damaging your back then it's probably poor form, or excessive weights.

Leigh2612

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • appalache/ solo airs
« Reply #149 on: Apr 03, 2010, 13:53 »
yeah im sure most people could smash out a few at 60/80 or so every other day. It was a powerlifting training scheme, excessive weight? matter of opinion but you arent going to get bigger or stronger playing patt a cake in the gym.
I am pretty conscious of my form at all times so i assure you that wasn't an issue.
Quit your jibba jabba!

© 2019 Ride It Out