Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paul's bulking up tips.  (Read 102432 times)

Paul INITT

• Senior
  • ride HARDCORE, ride HARDTAIL.
Re: Paul's bulking up tips.
« Reply #90 on: Nov 11, 2008, 20:58 »
yes you need lots of calories to gain muscle, there proberbly needed asmuch as protien try a high protien diet with lots of calories and this will help you gain muscle if  you are hiting the gym and doin exercise then once you have gained muscle change diet (to loose weight) to a diet of about 7 small meals a day that are designed to stop you being hungry but never totaly fill you up, and they dont all have to be a full meal they can just be a apple say or something but 6 or 7 small meals such as a small portion of tuna pasta or something also doing exercises still to keep the muscle growth up, also think about having as much fiber as you can as this will help fill you up more quickly and will last instead of you feeling full and then 5 mins later starving.

by the way im no dietician or anything so if any of it is wrong someone corect me  :)
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2008, 08:55 by Paul INITT ;] »
www.myspace.com/cool_is_overated_

Riding Is Like A Drug, You Get Adicted To It, Spend All Of Your Money On It And Spend Your Life Behinind bars

Dh max

• Senior
« Reply #91 on: Nov 11, 2008, 21:17 »
cheers but doesnt really help with fat loss?
i mean would sit up etc get rid of the fat around my stomach area as it getting really bad lately and would prefer a much more tonned stomach that doesnt like wobble around wen i run around the rugby pitch  :D
Fear is just weakness leaving the body..

Paul INITT

• Senior
  • ride HARDCORE, ride HARDTAIL.
« Reply #92 on: Nov 12, 2008, 08:54 »
the second diet (6 or 7 small meals) should help with loosing weight, but you might loose some muscle as well with that
www.myspace.com/cool_is_overated_

Riding Is Like A Drug, You Get Adicted To It, Spend All Of Your Money On It And Spend Your Life Behinind bars

ride

• Senior
« Reply #93 on: Nov 14, 2008, 22:54 »
cheers but doesnt really help with fat loss?
i mean would sit up etc get rid of the fat around my stomach area as it getting really bad lately and would prefer a much more tonned stomach that doesnt like wobble around wen i run around the rugby pitch  :D

No fat loss cannot be targeted, so you wont loose stomach fat by doing sit ups, however, by doing ab crunches and sit ups, you will strengthen the abs which can tone your stomach up more which will give an impression of weight loss even without loosing any.

The best way to loose weight is in pauls weight loss thread the man knows his stuff.

Basic tips are stick to big compound lifts and cardio, big lifts will strengthen your whole body and burn calories/build muscle, further, the more muscle you build the more calories youll burn.

look at squats, deadlifts, benchpress, overhead press, press ups, ab crunches (variety of ways), pull ups, push ups

Dont go starving yourself either that makes you more likely to burn away muscle and make you store all the food you do eat as fat.

eat atleast 6 small meals a day, stick to main food groups... protein (fish, meat, eggs, dairy), simple carbs (brown rice bread etc), healthy fats olive oil etc (in moderation) and fruit and veg, try to get a high protein intake and eat protein with every meal. this is one of the bigest and best changes you can make, cutting out any junk food and eating well so its important to get this right, its far better to do this than drink protein shakes, a shake is a suppliment and should only be used a long side a good diet, it wont work miricals, most are full of marketing bull too so to my knowlege whey protein is the best to get if at some point you want to suppliment your protein intake.
its a good idea to say have a protein shake and a banana or somthing post work out to get protein straight to the muscles and get your post work out carbs.

Cardio is also going to be good as you want to lose weight, two of the best ways to burn fat is HIIT high intensity interval training (search it) and cardio on an empty stomach (morning). low intensity cardio will also be good but has a tendency to burn muscle aswell (i belive this is not the case in morning cardio due to glycogen levels or some kind of thing i cant remember right now  :P)

anyway i know some of this may or most likey is repeated but heres what you basicaly need to know in one place

Its may seem like a lot to take on but once you get used to it it realy isnt too hard to maintain, you may even find you get a bit addicted to going down the gym and notice that eating good leaves you generally feeling better so its well worth doing. Just dont forget that any change towards this is a positive step aswell, dont go for a massive change if you dont think you can handle it either you're more likely to snap and give up all together if you take on too much too fast.

hope that helps

im sure paul will have some imput on that aswell
Bike Cellar Plymouth...check it out

Leigh2612

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • appalache/ solo airs
« Reply #94 on: Nov 25, 2008, 18:51 »
i personally found doing loads of crunches and ab work made me look fatter as it thickens your core, best to target bodyfat in my opinion. In this situation i would follow the advice above of compound lifts and 6 meals a day regardless of whether trying to bulk/ cut. You are in a good place to add muscle so better to add it now rather than lose weight, then want to get bigger which inevitably involves putting a bit of fat on, then losing it again.
Quit your jibba jabba!

willsoffe

• Immortal
  • Senior
  • Southern England Downhill Champion 2010 & 2011
    • Me blog
« Reply #95 on: Nov 27, 2008, 13:27 »
Genetics hinders you in bulking sometimes....you just have to eat more and be stricter with not missing food if you are a hard gainer.

It's not all about protein it's about overall calorific intake. There comes a point when your body simply can't burn it all of no matter how high your metabolic rate...then you will start gaining weight.

I was 9 stone at 5ft10 and looked gaunt when I started lifting at 17, I just couldn't bulk up.... until I started eating 8 times a day and 4000 calories +. then it pilled on very quickly.

Paul

I'm 9.5 stone and 5'10" at 22 years old. I'm definately fit, but bulking up is hard work!!!

I'm gonna start the eating every 3 hours (sounds horrible  ;D ) and I'm well into 3000 calories a day at the moment. The old student loan is gonna have to be stretched a bit further to get to 4000!

Thanks for all your advice!

Will
Proudly riding on Team Ride It Out for One Industries, 661, E13, Morewood, SDG, Spiral Graphics, Superstar, Spank, Formula and Microshift

.db.

• Junior
« Reply #96 on: Nov 27, 2008, 18:10 »
Cardio is also going to be good as you want to lose weight, two of the best ways to burn fat is HIIT high intensity interval training

There's a crossover concept when it comes to burning fat.  Fat needs more oxygen to be burnt so at lower intensity cardio it will be burnt more.  You need to aim at around 50% of your maximum lung volume (VO2max).  Anything above this and you'll start to burn more carbohydrate than fat.  It can be hard to judge 50% but generally just to burn fat do low intensity running for long durations or something similar and have less calories coming in than those going out but don't take it too far. Keep eating lots of protein with some carbs because muscles also need carbs to use the protein to build the muscle.

In terms of burning more calories, doing high intensity training will be the most effective though.

« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2008, 18:36 by dablo_unt »

Foxo

« Reply #97 on: Dec 03, 2008, 15:01 »
I used to drink a protein shake about 30minutes before going to bed under the impression that this might help stop my body from moving into catabolic overnight. Or at least minimise it.

But I read or heard someone say recently that drinking protein before you go to bed means you blood goes to your stomach rather than your muscles and can actually slow muscle growth down.

Is this true? I'm trying to gain weight at the moment, so which is better for bulking up?

Thanks

Aiken

• Senior
  • safe badmanz
« Reply #98 on: Dec 09, 2008, 20:36 »
I've just joined a few local gyms (combo deal, still cheap), and I'm trying to bulk up now, but slowly as I don't want to be a meat head. Would it be better to do more reps of a lower weight, than less sets of a higher weight?
I'm not exactly weak at the moment as it is, and i've got pretty big arms but my chest is poor in comparison, so that's what I'll primarily be working on. Are protein shakes any good? I've always laughed and been a bit sceptical of them...
I'm 6', 11 1/2st ish, and 17 if that's relevant.

Leigh2612

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • appalache/ solo airs
« Reply #99 on: Dec 09, 2008, 21:15 »
I used to drink a protein shake about 30minutes before going to bed under the impression that this might help stop my body from moving into catabolic overnight. Or at least minimise it.

But I read or heard someone say recently that drinking protein before you go to bed means you blood goes to your stomach rather than your muscles and can actually slow muscle growth down.

Is this true? I'm trying to gain weight at the moment, so which is better for bulking up?

Thanks

preotein shake is fine before bed. one with casein in, a slow release part of whey, or cottage cheese is better as they release protein slower meaning you are catabolic for less time.
If you eat/drink a protein shake before bed or any other time it will go to your stomach before it goes anywhere else.
Quit your jibba jabba!

Robington

• Senior
« Reply #100 on: Feb 05, 2009, 23:28 »
does raw egg help build muscle?

I want to try and bulk up a bit. I'm 15 nearly 16, 6' 1" and 10 1/2 stone. I don't want to buy all these protein shakes and supplements, but slowly and naturally build up muscle. I do a few press ups and sit ups every now and again, mainly focussing on building my upper body.   I don't really know where to start. I dont want to become a total meat head, but just have a bit of extra muscle here and there.

Thanks

Foxo

« Reply #101 on: Feb 06, 2009, 18:27 »
IMHO your better off with milk and protein. Protein shakes don't make you into a meathead, its just poor mans chicken. Not sure i could stomach raw egg before/after the gym.

P-Baller

« Reply #102 on: Feb 25, 2009, 21:37 »
I've started hitting the gym properly the last week, acting on the advice here and from a mate who is an american footballer and knows his stuff.  Just wanted to say cheers to Paul for sticking this up, the info's been really helpful in getting started.

Just wanted to ask one thing aswell, my mate who I'm training with wants to get big, and has a fair bit more weight on him than I do currently, I want to put on some muscle but not a lot of overall weight, ideally wanna put on about 12-14 pounds (currently 11.5ish stone at 6 foot dead but with very little uppder body muscle.).  Am I doing the right thing by doing weights monday, wedensday and friday and cardio tuesday thursday, taking protein shakes 3 times a day (Guy in the shops reccomendation) and trying to eat a fair bit more? I've always found it quite difficult to put on weight in the past. Just wondering if there is a balance to strike between weights, cardio and diet or anything I should look out for. 

Cheers.

Leigh2612

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • appalache/ solo airs
« Reply #103 on: Mar 23, 2009, 17:24 »
yeah lose the cardio if you want to bulk. whats your training like?
Quit your jibba jabba!

P-Baller

« Reply #104 on: Apr 01, 2009, 22:06 »
Leigh, I have dropped the cardio in the last couple weeks.  Will pick it up when I start putting weight on.

Currently I'm doing:

Monday: Bench, Deadlift, Military Press, Squat, Flies, Single leg squat and Dips.

Wedensday: Pull Ups (Wide grip), Hip Lifts, Seated row, Straight leg deadlift, Upright row, hyper extensions, shrugs and curls.

Fridays: Pull ups, Dumbell press, Overhead squat, inverted row, single leg straight leg deadlift, dumbeel incline, calf raises and choulder press.

Any advice anyone could offer to that for a programme? Anything unnecessary or anything glaringly obvious I'm missing? Doing 3 sets of 8 for now

Haven't been taking the shakes 3 times a day, been having them twice on training days and once on days off.  Starting to see a difference now.  Couldn't do a single wide pull up at the start and now almost getting 3 myself.  Weights are increasing, started light and learnt the moves and am now getting into the rhythm with it.

© 2019 Ride It Out