Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paul's bulking up tips.  (Read 102421 times)

will...

• Senior
Re: Paul's bulking up tips.
« Reply #60 on: Jun 09, 2008, 08:11 »
i don't really understand some of them like militaries or what ever there called

Googled it, this came up.
Took about 20 secs  :)

oh and on the subject of front delt shizz, would this be as good or effective, as ive only got dumbbells at the moment.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 08:15 by will... »

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
  • Previously known as Chilled76
« Reply #61 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:31 »
i don't really understand some of them like militaries or what ever there called

Googled it, this came up.
Took about 20 secs  :)

oh and on the subject of front delt shizz, would this be as good or effective, as ive only got dumbbells at the moment.

DB Shoulder presses are a great exercise for developing your delts. Slightly different to a BB shoulder press (military presses) but yes they are very effective.

You don't have to follow programs to the letter, work with what you have got.  ;)

Paul.

P.S it's funny we are talking about home equipment and using what you have got.

I've just started training at home again after using gyms predominantly for years.
Was quite funny this Friday I went to Decathlon on a quest for some dumbells.....

....Came home with a 200kg of weights, a bar bell, some dumb bells, a multi purpose folding bench and a flipping squat rack!!!!  ;D

My second spare bedroom is now a gym ha ha, gona get a chin up bar/dip rack for it next.

What was even funnier was fitting Me, the Mrs and all of that equipment in to her Ford KA!!!  :D
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 09:32 by chilled76 »
If you're not falling off, you're not getting faster!

strafer

• Junior
« Reply #62 on: Jun 10, 2008, 13:02 »
I've just started training at home again after using gyms predominantly for years.
Was quite funny this Friday I went to Decathlon on a quest for some dumbells.....

....Came home with a 200kg of weights, a bar bell, some dumb bells, a multi purpose folding bench and a flipping squat rack!!!!  ;D

My second spare bedroom is now a gym ha ha, gona get a chin up bar/dip rack for it next.

What was even funnier was fitting Me, the Mrs and all of that equipment in to her Ford KA!!!  :D

Purely out of curiousity I decided to see the weight comparsion:

Ford Ka 1.3i 3-door = 1 265 pounds = 573 kilograms.

You had more than 1/3 of the car's weight in there! (I'm guessing a lot more with a 20kg oly bar, bench, and extra dumbells). Did the rear suspension springs recoil or is it permenantly lowered now?! Poor thing.

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #63 on: Jun 10, 2008, 13:22 »
Lol no the KA is fine....but it was a bit lob sided on the way home!!

I was sat in the driver seat, with her behind me, then the left front and rear seats were folded flat (front one hinged forward).

With all the kit down the left hand side (all the plates in the passanger foot well).

Didn't realise they were that light!!!!...bloody hell, thats why it's so damn fuel efficient!....ways about the same as a multipack of crisps!

The ironic thing was that I drive a Huuuuggggggeeeee estate Volvo.

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2008, 13:36 by chilled76 »

Leigh2612

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • appalache/ solo airs
« Reply #64 on: Jun 10, 2008, 18:05 »
No Military press's are using your shoulders. (mostly front head of your deltoids)

Chins work all your back and the rear of your shoulders.

Paul

whyn not clean and press for a much more effective exercise?
Quit your jibba jabba!

Ghode

• Senior
« Reply #65 on: Jun 10, 2008, 22:21 »
hey, sorry there are 5 pages of this and I haven't got time to trawl through it all at the moment, so I hope this hasn't been mentioned at all already and I hope this is the right thread for this question.

I am 15 and at  the moment I am in my rugby clubs gym 3/4 times a week doing mostly weight training, I'm pretty in to it now and want to get the most out of it...

so, I was wondering what is the best meal to eat afterwards? at the moment I am eating pasta with different things, when i got home tonight I had roast chicken breast with pasta salad and light mayo. is this the correct sort of things? what else is good? (obviously I'm not talking generally as that's already been covered on the first page, more specific to me being 15, if it is any different?)

also, is there anything else I can do to get more out of it?

Cheers in advance
Alex

P.s. I am fully aware of the implications of weight training at 15 (stunted growth etc.) but I am already 6' 3" and probably the biggest build (structure wise) you will see in a 15 year old :D

psyick

• Senior
« Reply #66 on: Jun 11, 2008, 13:40 »
Hey mate sounds like your diet is already pretty clean, if you eat that kind of stuff regularly then worrying about calories and proportions of carbs/fat etc is likely unecessary.

That said, if you are hitting the weights fairly hard/regularly then your body will need much more protein than normal. So chicken is good, but the rest of the day you want to eat more protein rich foods. And pasta contains practically none. So more meat, cottage cheese, nuts, beans etc etc. Maybe a protein shake or two. No need to go mad with it, IIRC you should eat about 1-1./5g of protein per pound of bodyweight when weight training.

gordo

« Reply #67 on: Jun 11, 2008, 15:54 »

Purely out of curiosity I decided to see the weight comparsion:

You had more than 1/3 of the car's weight in there! (I'm guessing a lot more with a 20kg oly bar, bench, and extra dumbells). Did the rear suspension springs recoil or is it permenantly lowered now?! Poor thing.

Sorry mate, close but no cigar.

Ka's weight between 871 - 935kg http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=247&page=2

Still a hell of a lot of weight to put in the poor wee motor though.

Paul, how's the home gym going? Surely not long before you develop it into a full blown commercial success.......

-Gordo

Ghode

• Senior
« Reply #68 on: Jun 11, 2008, 17:44 »
Hey mate sounds like your diet is already pretty clean, if you eat that kind of stuff regularly then worrying about calories and proportions of carbs/fat etc is likely unecessary.

That said, if you are hitting the weights fairly hard/regularly then your body will need much more protein than normal. So chicken is good, but the rest of the day you want to eat more protein rich foods. And pasta contains practically none. So more meat, cottage cheese, nuts, beans etc etc. Maybe a protein shake or two. No need to go mad with it, IIRC you should eat about 1-1./5g of protein per pound of bodyweight when weight training.

ok cheers mate, I have a protein shake after every work out at my gym anyways, but i guess i will probably start on the pistashio (sp?) nuts and peanuts again :P plus beans/ham on toast?

haha, making me hungry  :P

Alex

strafer

• Junior
« Reply #69 on: Jun 11, 2008, 20:34 »

Ka's weight between 871 - 935kg http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=247&page=2

Paul, how's the home gym going? Surely not long before you develop it into a full blown commercial success.......

-Gordo

Oh yes, on second look it seems the gross weight is actually 1265 kilos, and what you stated is the kerb weight. 573 does seem stupidly light.

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #70 on: Jun 12, 2008, 08:09 »

-Gordo

Run out of space and more importantly money mate. We still on for 6:30pm me kicking your ass?

Foxo

« Reply #71 on: Jul 10, 2008, 22:03 »
Right... on account of money problems im not going to have a gym to go to this summer. Thats ok though because i've got a set of dumb-bells and some determination. I've worked out exercises I can do to hit most of the muscle's I want to, but im struggling for chest (pec's). I do raised leg press-ups (using a bed) but i can do alot of them relatively easy, and im trying to bulk up so I need something harder to do. I thought of getting a weights bench of some sort (which obviously opens up loads of chest options), but after a bit of research it looks like they start from £80ish and that a pretty base level one. Obviously this isn't easy on the wallet side of things.

So, in a long winded, rambling sort of way, i guess what im asking is are there any chest exercises I could try with my limited kit? and if not, can you recommend a good, cheapish weights bench? Or maybe a way of making press-ups harder (like weighted kit)?

Thanks guys.

Rich_

• God Like!
« Reply #72 on: Jul 10, 2008, 22:38 »
Paul, we will do sit ups in france with one of us sitting on each others back, that'll make things hard!
Whistler 2011 Season. Yeaaaaaaaaa Buddy!

smudge

• Junior
  • Never leap frog a unicorn
« Reply #73 on: Jul 17, 2008, 03:49 »
Hey, Few questions somone is bound to know on here, ive been doing weights seriously for around 6 months now and happy how things are going (think im well hooked). At the mo im training 6 days a week for 1hr 30mins each session, mostly weights but i do swim after every session not for fitness I think it helps getting rid of lactic acid and stops me aching so much the next day.

But....
1, After a hard session my hands tend to shake im not sure if its bacause my body is being starved protein!?

2, My aggression goes through the roof i realise its from the testosterone can i kerb it anyway or subdew it somhow?? (my girlfriend would be happy if i could)

3,Im constantly hungry proteen shakes dont do much for me, Is my body craving food??

4,I always need a crap when I run, As a endurance training leader I find it quite annoying!

I like the sound of doing a six week program and posting "a before and after" on here it would be great to get a few of us to do it and really see the affects over that time.

Anyway if anyone could find answers or knows i would be greatfull for letting me know ;)

Cheers

(good post paul!)

Xc full sus wanted

Rokin

• Senior
  • Fat, unskilled and proud.
« Reply #74 on: Jul 17, 2008, 09:57 »
ive been doing weights seriously for around 6 months now and happy how things are going (think im well hooked). At the mo im training 6 days a week for 1hr 30mins each session, mostly weights...

6 days? Plus swimming? That's a hell of a lot of exercise. Do you work different groups, or do the same thing each time? You really need a days' break between heavy lifting to get your muscles back to full strength, so if you're doing the same muscle groups each day that may be the reason for the shaky hands. You need your recovery time, with plenty of sleep. Mix it up a bit too. I'll do dumbell shoulder presses one day, and reverse military presses the next time, if you don't do something like that already.
Alternatively, you may not be eating enough. I cycle to work 5 days, (5 miles off road each way... sometimes on a fully rigid single speed,) plus 3 heavy training sessions, plus hacking my bike around at weekends when I get a chance, and I eat a huge amount. The smaller amounts of food 6 times a day mentioned in Paul's other post has helped, so try that. Oh, and you mention protein quite a lot. Base your diet around it, but certainly pay a lot of attention to the other factors too. I have about 200g+ of protein in an average day, but around 300-350g of carbs due to the amount of exercise I do. I don't really drink protein shake too much. A scoop in my breakfast smoothie, but that's it. I have a protein bar after training, but have lots of chicken, tuna etc., as well as brown rice, pasta, fruit and cereal bars in my normal food habits.
Basically, try eating more, and possibly cutting down on your weight training a bit. Stick with the swimming. You may even see a benefit, crazy as it may sound!

© 2019 Ride It Out