Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paul's bulking up tips.  (Read 102406 times)

Rokin

• Senior
  • Fat, unskilled and proud.
Re: Paul's bulking up tips.
« Reply #45 on: Apr 01, 2008, 23:48 »
Just keep your curling strict and you'll be fine. No back swinging etc. To build up your forearms you can also hold the dumbbell in your hand with your palm side facing upwards and move your hand up and down whilst supporting your arm on your leg. I also use the seated row at the gym and use the handles that point downwards too, (recently got 12 reps. on maximum... Rah!)
I'm rubbish at describing what exercises I do and how to do them, so I won't get offended if someone corrects me!

strafer

• Junior
« Reply #46 on: Apr 02, 2008, 09:25 »
thanks

i cant do squats for a few weeks as my leg too weak at the mo tho so think i'll keep doing the dumbell curls till then. my forearms are getting tiny!! but i dont know how to get em big just sitting down

Try

www.redtube.com  ;)

Sorry ...you asked for that one  :D

He wants bigger forearms, not carpal tunnel syndrome!

I've never seen the point of arm curls other than perhaps doing a few sets once a week. The biceps will get hit doing chin-ups - along with a whole bunch of other muscles. That's a much more efficient way of doing things. And if you're doing weight-training for sports and physical performance (if not what the hell are you doing on a D.H health and fitness board!) - in my opinion, biceps are NOT your priority. Hamstrings, hips, quads, core, shoulders & grip are. Strength and as much flexibility as can be encouraged in those areas will lead to better performance.

(But yes, most of the drunken girls at your local will love a big set of guns. The usefulness of them in that respest is obvious!)

joe brierley

« Reply #47 on: Apr 02, 2008, 12:31 »
most of the fitness advice im seeking here is not to make me fitter for riding mtb. Im simply interested in becoming more muscular but it just so happens that I love bikes. is that ok?? lol

how long should i take doing a chin up? shoul i do it however i like or what?

thanks for the advice

Joe

strafer

• Junior
« Reply #48 on: Apr 02, 2008, 19:16 »
most of the fitness advice im seeking here is not to make me fitter for riding mtb. Im simply interested in becoming more muscular but it just so happens that I love bikes. is that ok?? lol

thanks for the advice

Joe

Fair enough.

If you're just trying to look better then find a good bodybuilding split. Something like (but not nessicarily the same as) this:

Monday
Triceps
Biceps
Chest

Wednesday
Back
Shoulders

Friday
Hamstring
Calfs
Quads

Aim for about 18 total sets (give or take, depending on your recovery capabilities) for each session.

Eat plenty of good carbs and fats - get around 1.5gms per pound of bodyweight of protien in you each day and drink lots and lots of water. In terms of diet - to build muscle you need to be consuming more calories daily than you're burning - that's clean calories - mars bars, crisps and the like dont count, they'll just make you fat. You need the extra protein to create (and maintain) new lean muscle mass.

As for the chin-up - explosive up - slowly and controlled on the way down.

Rokin

• Senior
« Reply #49 on: Apr 02, 2008, 20:51 »

If I'm doing chins with the bar in front of me, I get to the top of the bar and bring my knees up to my chest, then back down, in a crunch type thing, before lowering myself back down. If I'm doing them with the bar behind my head I keep my legs straight out in front of me and do them that way. They absolutely kill your lower abs. I try and do 12 per set, and do them in a split workout routine. Don't expect to do these right away, as it took me ages to get them right.

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
  • Previously known as Chilled76
« Reply #50 on: Apr 02, 2008, 20:59 »
Take my hat off to you Rokin...I hate chins to rear with outstretched legs  so much I just don't ever do them.!!! (what are they called anyway?...no-one seems to know!!)

I used to prize myself on being able to do 50 wide grip chins though or 10 wide chins with 40kg on my belt  ;D

Sad to say in my sorry state at the minute I can barely do 15 per set  >:(
If you're not falling off, you're not getting faster!

Rokin

• Senior
« Reply #51 on: Apr 02, 2008, 21:25 »
Cheers. Like a tit I've decided to train to do the human flag. I've been holding myself up on the wide slanted grip bar thing and doing leg crunches today. 12 per set over 5 sets on a split workout of dumbbell shoulder presses. I'm also doing dips whilst holding my body at a 45 degree angle.
The idea was to get a photo of me doing it on the pole dancing pole of the local ritzy, surrounded by dirty slappers! However, seeing what was being wrapped round said pole by a human hippo in a miniskirt recently put me off this.
And ham baguettes for that matter...

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #52 on: Apr 02, 2008, 21:29 »
Unfortunatly Human hippo's always seem to frequent the local watering holes with the dancing poles....it should be illigal  :D

joe brierley

« Reply #53 on: Apr 08, 2008, 00:15 »
i had my 2nd physio session today for my broken knee recovery. they got me to do 1000m on the rowing machine and bloody hell was it a good work out!!!!! i felt ripped all over which is always a satisfying feeling and my arms looked pretty pumped up!

so anyway. I want to buy a compact rowing machine. it has to be one i can lean against wall to save space. is the type i can get for £45 quid from argos any good? you know the type where the arms are apart further.

any help much appreciated as i think itll help get me back riding sooner

Joe

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #54 on: Apr 08, 2008, 18:44 »
i had my 2nd physio session today for my broken knee recovery. they got me to do 1000m on the rowing machine and bloody hell was it a good work out!!!!! i felt ripped all over which is always a satisfying feeling and my arms looked pretty pumped up!

so anyway. I want to buy a compact rowing machine. it has to be one i can lean against wall to save space. is the type i can get for £45 quid from argos any good? you know the type where the arms are apart further.

Joe

Theres one thing my dad told me when i was young...and I always think of it when i nearly buy a cheap version of something...."you get what you pay for"

I don't need to say much more.

Paul

dhjunkiejon
« Reply #55 on: Apr 10, 2008, 23:37 »
What kinda exercises can I be doing to prevent arm pump when riding? 

Addict

• Senior
  • Forest of Dean
« Reply #56 on: Apr 11, 2008, 00:42 »
This is a great topic cheers

Static24

• SDH Rocks!
« Reply #57 on: Apr 11, 2008, 09:34 »

Joe

It will be rubbish, the rowing machines we use at our club cost around £1000+ new, most gyms have them aswell (concept 2), you can obviously get cheaper ones but I've no idea how lond they'd last.
Rides:
- Turner DHR
-  S&M L.A.F
- Old skool trailstar

Rich-ard

• Senior
  • BUS W*NKERS!!! Love it.
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2008, 15:59 »
What kinda exercises can I be doing to prevent arm pump when riding? 

Arm pump is just lactic acid build up (correct me if im wrong) So any form of forearm compound exercise will benefit you there, just so you gain more endurance therefore you dont feel that horrible 'burning ' sensation.

Rich
'...What goes up, must come down...'     -     Bike: Giant Glory Zero / Boxxer Teams / Avid / Mavic / Thomson + more expensive tosh.....

Paul INITT

• Senior
  • ride HARDCORE, ride HARDTAIL.
« Reply #59 on: Jun 08, 2008, 19:44 »
my rugby team is joining to age groups together to make two teams ( mine and the year above) I'd like to play for the year above but to do so i feel I'd need to get more "meat" thought I'd take a look at this thread and some of the things confuse me. ::)

was wondering if you could make up a quick list of some foods that would be good to eat and explain so exorcises that would be good to do  as i don't really understand some of them like militaries or what ever there called

any help would be appreciated

Paul
www.myspace.com/cool_is_overated_

Riding Is Like A Drug, You Get Adicted To It, Spend All Of Your Money On It And Spend Your Life Behinind bars

© 2019 Ride It Out